_Fluent Python_ book club

Yes, a while back I sent a memo to all T/CAMs giving you Admin+Moderator privileges, ostensibly so that you could ensure your team are in the LSSTDM group until we had a more automated system to back that up.

Now that Frossie’s original post is a wiki, anyone Level 1+ can edit it.

I got this when trying to add my name to Frossie’s post:
“Sorry, you can only mention 10 users in a post.”

oh, good point :frowning: I’ll turn them into regular names not mentions.

… done. This is probably for the best since it’ll reduce unnecessary notification noise since we’re not actually ‘at’-ing a person to talk to them.

1 Like

Ah. I see now. I had to click the … icon to see the pencil. Thanks.

@frossie It sounds like the sims group here at UW would also like to participate (Lynne, Scott, Peter, Rahul, and Bryce). That brings us up to 10 here at UW. That is starting to sound like too many in one group.

Thursday and Friday are bad at UW.

@KSK Up to you whether you want to split UW off completely and do your own, whether you want to split Sims off, or whether you want to try and herd 10 cats.

It is a wonderful idea, but confess I am more concerned about improving my C++ and perhaps SWIG. I’m wondering if we could start a C++ book club without diluting the “Fluent Python” book club too far. My initial thought is to read Scott Meyers’ “Effective Modern C++”, but other suggestions would be welcome. I have heard initial positive reaction from @jdswinbank and @parejkoj

@jsick Is the “Discourse-y” thing to do here to use “Reply as linked Topic” for a shift of emphasis like this?

I’ve read “Effective Modern C++” too, and found it very useful, though I’ve probably forgotten most of what I’ve learned due to lack of use. I wish there was a good book to improve our Swig usage, but I don’t know of one.

All other things being equal, I would probably join an EMC++ book club in preference to a Python one.

I think it’s better to have one really solid group rather than two anaemic ones, though: I suggest that we get the Python group up and running and see how many people are not just expressing interest but regularly attending and contributing before we bifurcate.

At NCSA we have weekly LSST local meetings on Mondays 12-1 PST. But it’s just Matias and me here, so we understand if that turns out to be the best choice for the majority.

Just a heads up, if you haven’t bought the book already, O’Reilly is selling the ebook at half off ($21.50) on their website:

1 Like

Thanks, @jsick!

@frossie – any idea what the likely schedule for the book club getting started is?

Sorry lost focus there for a bit what with waiting for the time zone meeting schedule to settle and DMLT and stuff.

Here is a doodle poll for the first Chapter, and with the assumption that it will be in the same weekly slot thereafter. Obviously we won’t be able to get everyone, but we’ll do our best.

http://ls.st/dm8

Okay we have a slot (there was never going to be something that worked for everyone) and yes, it is a punishing schedule.

A bunch of us in Princeton only just realised that the link @frossie posted above isn’t just a list of meeting times but also an indication of the material to be covered in each session. Others may wish to take note – I’m sure I’m not the only one who had assumed this was one chapter per meeting.

Thanks to @pmelchior for pointing this out.

@frossie how would you feel about opening this thread up? The sims people here want to participate as well.

Your wish is my command

Was it intentional or just sort of accepting a default to have the meeting series run through the holidays (and AAS)?

Frossie asks that we all post holiday availability at the Monday times for the next few weeks to the new HipChat “Book Club” room.