Roll-out of continuously deployed design documents

Update: readthedocs fixed the build issue (:clap:) and now the LDM-135 docs can be seen at:

http://ldm-135.readthedocs.org/en/tickets-dm-3835/

I wonder if there is a way to have some notion of “pages” in these new docs. I am reading through a document that was 100+ pages in pdf, and there is no obvious way to bookmark an area (unless it is a start of a chapter), and chapter numbers are far from the level of granularity pages were giving us. Any thoughts if there is an obvious solution to that?

Each section heading should be linkable (and bookmarkable in your browser). Look for the little pop-up link icon as you move next to the right edge of the heading text.

If you have a lot of text in a section (or subsection), it probably deserves subsections (or sub-subsections).

Now that the content is in reST, the next step (for design docs and for the software docs) is to start building customizations to the Sphinx HTML builder and to the front end web design.

One of my big goals is to improve the TOC listing for large hierarchical pages. I ran into issues with the standard RTD theme with broken JavaScript in the sidebar; now it may be fixed on their production builds, so I need to check that.

Another goal, which you’ve made me think of, is to add anchors beside each paragraph/list item/other block element. I’d probably sequentially enumerate the anchors in the same anchor namespace as a the parent section. That way even if the text is re-written, the anchor would usually be approximately correct.

That’s what I was thinking, but I was afraid of the inaccuracy with respect to changes, so I didn’t say anything. You’re right that it probably doesn’t matter much.