2016_11_04 visualization meeting

Bluejeans: 107541143

Agenda:

• Histogram and JS API status.
  • SLAC test stand

Notes:

• To speed progress, UIUC will start having weekly group hack sessions.
  • Cooling is not yet reliable in the room that houses the SLAC test stand. @marshall will install visualization SW this coming week.
    Action: @weiren2: Update installation documentation.
  • An inconsistency between the old FF API’s region parameters and DS9’s was resolved in the new API (led to some brief confusion).

Hi Jon, I am afraid I will miss the meeting again today since I have family matters I have to take care of today. Stuart should be able to update you on the status of the IR2 visualization workstations. TS8 at BNL started taking test images again yesterday and I will transfer them onto those workstations as soon as possible.

@tatianag @jbpagliuco
Current issues I have in Firefly:

• I could draw a box region, but the location of the box is changed even though I’m using the same DS9 region format in the old API. Maybe the coordinates are defined differently in the new API? The boundary are not longer aligned.
  • Selecting a region will produce undefined TypeError. I’m not sure if this is a bug, it’s probably because calling the new API function incorrectly.

@victor_ren @jbpagliuco, you are right. There might have been confusion in older Firefly about x, y in box region definition “box x y width height angle”. The standard is not explicit about it. But I found at least one reference, which states x, y are the center and we have confirmed inside ds9 that x,y are the center point. So please go with this definition.

Sorry about that. I think I did it wrong in the older Firefly. The new version is more consistent with DS9.

@marshall The documentation of installation on local machine is updated. Let me know if any step is not clear.