Breakout Session on Atmospheric Modeling and Data

I suggest a breakout session to bring together people working on various aspects of modeling and measuring the atmosphere that all LSST observations will pass through, both on the project side (e.g., calibrations and simulations) and the science collaborations, as well as people bringing relevant expertise from other projects. This could either be focused on one aspect, e.g., the spatial, temporal and spectral variability of atmospheric emission, or else be broadened to include the atmospheric PSF and extinction.

1 Like

I’ll attend.

My main interest is in the spatial/temporal variation of the total sky emission and its spectrum. The spectrum is interesting as the fringe pattern can vary as the spectrum changes.

I’ll also attend. There are interesting atmosphere model issues for operations and also science analysis.

@dkirkby this sounds like a great topic. Can I assume that you would be up for leading such a breakout? If so, could you write a brief abstract for the proposed breakout, that includes just enough add’l information for community members who aren’t already involved in this work to know whether they might be interested to attend and contribute?

Yup, I’ll attend.
(pffft, “post must be 20 characters”)

I like to attend the session…

@bethwillman I can take the lead in organizing this session but I would like to get more input from potential participants to define the scope. When do you need an abstract?

I will be in attendance

re: abstract + intended audience and whether there are “must attend” project members - How about Wednesday June 22?

I am interested in attending.

Session Abstract

The atmosphere above Cerro PachĂłn is imprinted on all LSST observations via emission, absorption and the point-spread function. This session will bring together people from the project and community to discuss two main themes:

• What approaches are being used to model the atmosphere for simulations and forecasts? Are there other promising approaches that should be investigated?
  • What we can learn from existing survey data and dedicated monitoring instruments?

The topics covered will depend on the interests and expertise of the participants, but will include the spatial and temporal variation of the total sky emission and its spectrum. Please post suggestions for additional related topics here.

Newcomers interested in learning more about the LSST sky or sharing their experience from other projects are welcome.