There will be a short LSST breakout at Microlensing22 later today (~13:00 Saturday Jan 27), but we want the conversation to continue after the meeting - and there are far too many topics to cover in half an hour!
Input of any kind is welcome, we hope this will help jump-start the conversation.
1. The Inner Plane & microlensing - Special Program 2018 proposal (@rstreet et al.)
- Current status, elements
- What are the most critical science cases?
- What does this imply for observing strategy? (Filter balance, cadence, total time request)
- Interaction with the Observing Strategy Whitepaper
- What needs doing to prepare? What simulations are needed? What is easy/hard/practical in the time before the (~October 2018) deadline?
2. LSST microlensing and the Magellanic Clouds - SP 2018 proposal (?? et al.)
- What efforts are already underway? (cc @knutago @nidever)
- If none yet, who wants to lead a new proposal?
- Mroz & Poleski (arXiv:1712.03986) explore planetary microlensing towards the SMC with possibly specialized cadence - what other microlensing-relevant prediction/observation is being done / has been done?
- UPDATE via @wadawson - here is the Szkody et al. Deep Drilling whitepaper including the Magellanic clouds
3. LSST and microlensing science (learn from the microlensing community)
- What is the discovery space for LSST? (Complementarity with OGLE, KMTNET, MOA, etc.)
- What about microlensing in the Galactic disk?
- What about the outer disk (where LSST will do Wide-Fast-Deep)?
- Is anyone repeating Rahal et al. 2009 (EROS2), or is this wide open to LSST?
- How best to coordinate with the WFIRST team?
- What is standard practice to quantify LSST as providing complimentary information (e.g. color before and during microlensing event, a la Dave Ciardi @ LSST 2017 and before)?
- Is there a consensus regarding population models in 3D?
- What is easy to simulate? What is difficult?
- What efforts are already underway to understand LSST and microlensing?
4. What new microlensing observations are needed? (learn from the microlensing community)
- Is there a consensus for e.g. filter choice?
- Does the cadence divide simply by mass scale, as below, or is there a more complex dependency? E.g.
- IMBH (months-years, good for main-survey);
- Stellar / isolated black hole microlensing (months-year);
- Planetary (probably requires special cadence?)
- Translation of microlensing science cases into OpSim proposals (see the “Suggest a new OpSim request” page for guidelines)
- Interaction with Dan Rothchild’s ALTSched OpSim-alternate?
- Production of project-friendly Figures of Merit from existing microlens investigations?
- see the Observing Strategy Whitepaper for more on this topic.
5. Your suggestions here!
- suggestion 1…