Replacement rolling cadence simulations

It was discovered that the rolling cadence experiments released with the call for white papers (mothra_2045, pontus_2502, and kraken_2036) had some serious bugs (they are missing a large number of observations). Since exploring the impact of rolling cadences is a high priority, I’ve put together a pair of simulations that execute a rolling cadence strategy using the feature based scheduler.

These were run with Daniel Rothchild’s observatory model, so there are a few minor differences between this and usual OpSim runs. There’s no tracking of the camera rotation angle, there may or may not be dome creep included in the slew time calculation, and no tracking of the cable wrap.

These two simulations split the WFD area in half and alternate years of emphasis. The de-emphasized region is set to reach ~25% of it’s usual number of visits in a year. Only the WFD region changes cadence year-to-year, regions like the NES and South Celestial Pole should have a fairly uniform cadence.

In the rolling simulation, pairs are taken in g+g,r+r, and i+i. In the mixed, pairs are taken in g+r, r+i, and i+g. Thus the mixed survey has many more filter changes and slightly lower overall efficiency.

Since we are using the feature based scheduler spatial dithering is included (no need to use a MAF stacker).

The runs mostly match the standard OpSim output schema. There are a few columns (like poposalId) that are not relevant to the feature based scheduler, so are just set to constants.

The databases can be downloaded from these links:
https://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/sim-data/beta_slair_surveys/runs/rolling/rolling_10yrs_opsim.db
https://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/sim-data/beta_slair_surveys/runs/roll_mix/rolling_mix_10yrs_opsim.db

We’ll put up the standard MAF plots for them shortly.

Peter, without proposalID, how else can I get just WFD visits and exclude, e.g., DDF visits?

An excellent and common question. While these don’t have proposal IDs, there is a new ‘note’ column in the SummaryAllProps table. All the deep drilling fields have a note that starts with “DD”. The official list is:
DD:XMM-LSS
DD:ECDFS
DD:u,ECDFS
DD:COSMOS
DD:u,COSMOS
DD:u,XMM-LSS
DD:ELAISS1
DD:u,ELAISS1

(note u-band deep drilling fields are done separately from the other sequences, so they get their own note.)

There’s not a super clean way to pull out WFD-only observations, but in theory that shouldn’t really matter too much (it doesn’t really matter if your metric values look bad at the south celestial pole, we know why that happens).

It looks like makeLSSTobs.py fails on it

I get this error. It looks like solar elongation isn’t included so it’s failing

File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_movingObjects/bin/makeLSSTobs.py”, line 186, in
opsimdata, colmap = readOpsim(args.opsimDb, constraint=args.sqlConstraint, dbcols=None)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_movingObjects/bin/makeLSSTobs.py”, line 30, in readOpsim
simdata = opsdb.fetchMetricData(dbcols, sqlconstraint=constraint)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/opsimDatabase.py”, line 95, in fetchMetricData
groupBy=groupBy, tableName=tableName)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 152, in fetchMetricData
groupBy=groupBy)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 209, in query_columns
groupBy=groupBy, numLimit=numLimit)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 246, in _build_query
raise ValueError(“Requested column %s not available in table %s” % (col, tablename))
ValueError: Requested column solarElong not available in table SummaryAllProps
Running 5-1-leading-input.txt through rolling_mix_10yrs_opsim.db
makeLSSTobs.py --ephType basic --roughTol 10 --tStep 1 --footprint camera --orbitFile /home/mschwamb/kat2/5-1-leading-input.txt --outDir /home/mschwamb/other_pops/ --obsFile rolling_mix_10yrs_opsim_5-1-leading-input.txt --opsimDb /home/mschwamb/sssc/common/opsimrun/rolling_mix_10yrs_opsim.db
Read orbit information from /home/mschwamb/kat2/5-1-leading-input.txt
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_movingObjects/bin/makeLSSTobs.py”, line 186, in
opsimdata, colmap = readOpsim(args.opsimDb, constraint=args.sqlConstraint, dbcols=None)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_movingObjects/bin/makeLSSTobs.py”, line 30, in readOpsim
simdata = opsdb.fetchMetricData(dbcols, sqlconstraint=constraint)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/opsimDatabase.py”, line 95, in fetchMetricData
groupBy=groupBy, tableName=tableName)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 152, in fetchMetricData
groupBy=groupBy)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 209, in query_columns
groupBy=groupBy, numLimit=numLimit)
File “/epyc/projects/sssc/sources/sims_maf/python/lsst/sims/maf/db/database.py”, line 246, in _build_query
raise ValueError(“Requested column %s not available in table %s” % (col, tablename))
ValueError: Requested column solarElong not available in table SummaryAllProps

Is this makeLSSTobs.py is not compatible with the feature based scheduler?

Cheers,
~Meg

Ah, I didn’t calculate the solar elongation for each observation. I should be able to add that in, I’ll try to do that tomorrow.

Thanks

Databases updated to include solarElong column and can be downloaded from the same link as before. Let me know if there are any others missing and I can add them in.

Looks like that’s what makeLSST.py needed. I’ll let you know it stops running with anymore errors.

Hello Peter,

Are these replacement rolling cadences having 2 or 3 alternating Dec bands? WFD off all the time?

Thanks!

They have 2 dec bands. In even years, the north is set to get 1.75x the usual number of visits, while the south gets 25% of the usual. Then odd years if flips. Only the WFD region is altered, the rest of the regions (NES, South Pole, Galactic plane, etc) should be observed as usual.

1 Like