Star Cluster Science with LSST

I am chairing a short session at the Project & Community Workshop on star cluster science and I would like to invite you to participate. The session will be on Tuesday the 10th of August from 19:00 to 20:00 UTC.

The LSST will provide a unique opportunity to study a huge sample of star clusters with a wide range of properties, from young low mass clusters in the Solar Neighbourhood to the most massive old star clusters out to a redshift of z = 0.05. This session will provide a chance to discuss future LSST-related science with star clusters, with a particular focus on lessons learned from relevant precursor studies, and the challenges that still need to be addressed.

Star cluster studies span a wide range of LSST science areas, from stellar astrophysics, stellar variables, the structure and evolution of the Milky Way and its satellites, the formation and assembly histories of nearby galaxies, the low surface brightness universe to the dark matter content of galaxies.

4 Likes

I am interested in the low-mass stars and substellar population in nearby star clusters.

1 Like

I’d be interested in the population of extragalactic globular clusters!

1 Like

Dear Chris,
I would be very interested in contributing a short talk on globular cluster science with the Blanco DECam Bulge Survey (see Rich et al. 2020 and Johnson et al. 2020) - Michael Rich rmr@astro.ucla.edu

1 Like

@nlodieu @kcdage Are either of you interested in giving a short talk? If so can you give me a title?

I realised the workshop will take place during my vacation time. Depending on the date and time, I might be able to participate and give a short talk but I would need to know a few days in advance. A possible title would be “A 5D map of the nearest open clusters from high-mass stars down to the substellar regime”.

The session will be on Tuesday the 10th of August from 19:00 to 20:00 UTC. I will have the schedule done by next Friday but you will get a talk - you are the first person who intends to talk about open clusters.

“The Pros and Cons of Using ML Algorithms to Find Extragalactic Globular Clusters”

1 Like

We now have a program for this session:

N. Lodieu (IAC): A 5D map of the nearest open clusters from high-mass stars down to the
substellar regime

R. M. Rich (UCLA): Globular Clusters in the Blanco DECam Bulge Survey

B. Dias (Tarapacá): The Magellanic Clouds star clusters with the VISCACHA survey

M. Renia-Campos (CITA/McMaster): Tracing the Structure of Dark Matter Haloes Using Globular Cluster Populations: insights from the E-MOSAICS simulations

A. Lançon (Strasbourg): Extragalactic Star Clusters with Euclid and LSST

K. Dage (McGill): The Pros and Cons of Using Machine Learning Algorithms to Find Extragalactic Globular Clusters

Each talk will be 10 min (8 min + 2 min for questions).