Adjusting the size of SafeClip masks

Hello all,

We are investigating satellite streak masking, and we would like to tune the width of masks on detected satellite streaks. It looks to be sufficient the way it is set up currently for HSC data, but we are curious about it and would like to tune the masks. It looks like the place to go is the SafeClipAssembleCoadd. Is there a way to access the size of the masks through the SafeClipAssembleCoaddConfig? The parameters I see there are primarily for overlapping sources.

Thank you!

1 Like

Try clipDetection.nSigmaToGrow.

can do, thank you Paul!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I had mixed results using clipDetection.nSigmaToGrow. It looks like it is working for the centers of bright sources, but not for the satellite streak. I remade a coadd setting clipDetection.nSigmaToGrow. = 1 (the default is 2). the top image is a zoom in of the result. I turned off all the mask planes except for clipped and detected. The mask for the satellite is the green line at the top of the figure. I also remade the coadd setting clipDetection.nSigmaToGrow. = 5, bottom image. The green line grew very moderately, where as the clipped regions in the centers of bright objects have grown as expected. I can’t think of a reason it would work one way for the bright objects and another for the satellite streak.

Not sure. Maybe the streak detection code is handling the streak. Is the STREAK mask plane set?

Hi Paul,

It doesn’t look like the STREAK mask plane is set. I dumped out all the mask plane names and bits and I get:
BAD 0
BRIGHT_OBJECT 9
CLIPPED 10
CR 3
CROSSTALK 11
DETECTED 5
DETECTED_NEGATIVE 6
EDGE 4
INEXACT_PSF 12
INTRP 2
NOT_DEBLENDED 13
NO_DATA 8
REJECTED 14
SAT 1
SENSOR_EDGE 15
SUSPECT 7
UNMASKEDNAN 16

I will take a closer look at the SafeClipAssembleCoaddTask to see if there are any clues there