Astrometric Data in DP1 and DP2

My understanding is that DP0 did not include values for astrometric fields (parallax and proper motion) because there was no (or not enough) synthetic data to support the required calculations. I also understand that the pipeline code to support astrometry is in place. Will there be values for astrometric fields when DP1 and DP2 are released?

I don’t think astrometric measurements in DP1 are likely; we’re just not going to put the effort into understanding ComCam necessary (the goal is to use it to commission the telescope for the brief time it’s on the telescope), and at his point we don’t know if the survey geometry for that stage of commissioning will be conducive to astrometry.

The latter question is still up in the air for DP2 as well, but there I do expect us to at least be able to run the full astrometric fitter and produce parallax and proper motions for our calibration stars (isolated ~10-sigma detections, selected for purity rather than completeness). I am not sure we’ll be able to push the astrometric measurement completeness down to the 5-sigma single epoch limit for DP2, though, and I think there’s some risk we might not get that done by DR1 (we think we know how to do it, but this is something we have not yet demonstrated on precursor data).

1 Like