Datasets for Image Difference Analysis

Hi community,

As I wrote in previous posts, I’m trying to learn the usage of the ip.diffim package. I would like to know if it is possible somehow to ingest externally-processed images and if there are test datasets I can use to run the task and see the output.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

The alert production pipelines (which include ip.diffim) have some pre-packaged datasets–see here for more information.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer.
Is it possible to launch just the image difference task with externally-processed data or do I need to launch the entire alert production pipelines with raw images?

I’m not sure what you mean by “externally-processed.” It might be helpful to know what telescope/camera the data come from.

I have some reduced VST images which I would like to test with the image difference analysis procedure. Is it possible or should I ingest all the raw the data?

Any idea on how to launch the image difference task with reduced images?

To process images from any camera you need some translation software (called an “obs package” in the Rubin pipelines) to convert the data into types the pipelines can understand. Here’s an example.

Unfortunately there is no such package for VST, and writing a new one is a lot of work and requires specialized knowledge. So I don’t think there’s an easy way to simply run the Rubin pipelines on your data.

1 Like

Hi @Vincenzo, just checking in to see if you decided to try writing an obs package for your VST data, or if you decided to go another route?

Hi @MelissaGraham , at the moment I have decided to look at the results of the alert production pipelines on tested datasets which already have an obs package and I am trying to produce light curves for certain sources of interest. Maybe later I could try writing an obs package for VST data, but not in short times.

Hi Melissa, do you know anybody interested in writing such package for VST? I will ask the italian community but I want to avoid duplicated efforts and use all the available expertise.

Hi @paolillo, no, unfortunately I don’t know of anyone writing an obs package for the VST. Perhaps you could post a new Topic in the Science and/or TVS-SC categories describing what you’re trying to do, and see if you find anyone to collaborate with?

I wasn’t aware of this earlier, but https://github.com/lsst-uk/obs_vista supports VIRCAM. @Vincenzo @paolillo maybe this will help?

2 Likes