The DM monthly status report covering July activities has been posted to DocuShare, Collection-6145. For your convenience, the High-level Summary is pasted below. Direct link to full report (pdf): http://ls.st/nlk.
In late July, DM took part in the successful Joint Status Review in Tucson. Strategic DM staff were selected to participate in the review, in an effort to minimize travel. In preparation for the review, LDM-639 — the Data Management Acceptance Test Specification — was brought to the level of 30% complete. Work is ongoing to finish this document.
The DM team took part in two key integration events during July. First, we participated in the ACCS MCM /OCS Bridge for Spectrograph cross-subsystem integration activity in Tucson. Secondly, we completed level two milestone LDM-503-05 (”Alert Distribution Validation”), demonstrating our mini-broker design concepts. Further details of the tests performed in support of this milestone are described in DMTR-91.
In addition to these activities, regular software and service development continued apace across the DM subsystem through July. Highlights included the first prototype of an automated, Jupyter notebook-based reporting tool developed by the SQuaRE team, while the SUIT team incorporated an asinh stretch algorithm in the FIrefly visualisation too. Furthermore, we are now capturing and tracking performance metrics from regular reprocessing of Hyper Suprime-Cam (HSC) data with the LSST stack using the SQuaSH framework.
The Science Pipelines group rolled out a new set of software primitives for dealing with multi-band data. These have been incorporated into the the deblender. In addition, a new star-galaxy classification algorithm and tools for generating coadds corrected for the effects of differential chromatic refraction were made available in the LSST framework. Further, a magnitude-based photometric model was incorporated to the Jointcal calibration tool; initial indications are that it resolves long-standing issues with the flux-based model that preceded it. Finally, we completed validation of the new system for correcting the Brighter-Fatter effect.
Following a feedback from the Directors Review, we have renewed our focus on middleware development — a joint effort of the Data Access, Data Facility and Pipelines teams. During July, this focused on a comprehensive review of the Butler ”Generation 3” registry schema.
The Data Access team also continued their work on Qserv 30% DR1 scale performance characterization, and began characterization of the PPDB performance on the Oracle system at the Data Facility.
Finally, the Base Site and Networking team continued configuration of the core network and started failover testing in the Summit Computer Room.