DM SPIE Paper: Invitation for authors

As you may remember from a previous invitation I am presenting a talk on DM processes and tools at this summer’s SPIE conference in Austin, TX. The proceedings paper has now been submitted to the publication board (PUB-64) for review.

LSST Data Management Software Development Practices and Tools

The Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) is an 8.4m optical survey telescope being constructed on Cerro Pachon in Chile. The data management system being developed must be able to process the nightly alert data, 20,000 expected transient alerts per minute, in near real time, and construct annual data releases at the petabyte scale. The development team consists of more than 90 people working in six different sites across the US developing an integrated set of software to meet the LSST requirements. In this paper we discuss our agile software development methodology and our API and developer decision making process. We also discuss the software tools that we use for continuous integration and deployment.

If you would like to be a co-author on this paper please let me know and indicate that you have read the paper and stand by its contents. All DM contributors are eligible and in particular I would strongly encourage people to sign up if they have ever been involved in debates on tooling or process.