DP0.1 Supernova Science (join the fun!)

Hey everyone, check this out. There is a new supernovae/ folder in our rubin-dp0 GitHub repository. This repo is where delegates can share their DP0.1 notebooks on any topic:

I’ve added a notebook to the supernovae/ folder titled Plot_A_SNIa_Multiband_Lightcurve.ipynb, which will find a Type Ia supernova in the truth_match catalog, use the Butler to retrieve associated Source measurements, and then plot the multi-band light curve.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.26.23 PM

It’s a really simple notebook. It could be improved by retrieving magnitude errors and adding them to the plot, or combining the data into single-night photometry points.

Other fun SN-related notebooks that could be added to the supernovae/ folder might involve host association and characterization, or light curve template fitting.

What do you think? Anyone else want to work on DP0.1 supernovae?

Or perhaps you’ll be inspired to start a new folder for your science interests in the shared delegate-contributions-dp01 GitHub repo, or even a new DP0 Working Group!

2 Likes

Hi Melissa, thank you for this very nice notebook on SNIa Multi-band Lightcurve. I would be glad to contribute to it and know if there are any people in DP0 interested in forming a SNe Working Group.
As a first approach, I think we could start from Melissa’s suggested future goals. I have started preparing a notebook that computes simple statistics on the detected SNe, but I am also interested in evaluating the detection efficiency and performing template fitting and classification of SNe by importing external tools into the RSP.
Please, write here if you want to help us and join the DP0 SNe WG!

4 Likes

Hi, I’d like to join the WG Vincenzo is proposing. I am running simulations using opsims metadata to estimate the fraction of detected SN and the number of light curves that can be corrected classified using PSNID as classifier. These numbers can be, in principle, easily compared to the those we can retrieve from the analysis Vincenzo is proposing.

3 Likes

This all sounds awesome! Since there’s some interest, we’ll definitely aim to have another SN-themed breakout room at the next Delegate Assembly on Oct 8.

For any DP0 delegates who are interested in the DP0 SN WG but can’t make the live events, “joining” includes participating in the SN-related conversations here in the Forum, and/or contributing code/notebooks to the supernova folder in the delegate-contributions-dp01 repository (github.com/rubin-dp0/delegate-contributions-dp01/tree/main/supernovae).

Thanks for posting the notebook, this is extremely useful. I’m also interested in joining the working group – I’m especially interesting in looking at simulated SNe close to the centers of the simulated galaxies to prepare for identifying nuclear transients.

I had a question about the notebook: 462 data points are retrieved, but there are only 60 data points in the final light curves. Are the others cut in the 1.5" separation requirement? I saw a similar decrease when trying a smaller pixelization triangle. Or, are these other data points from catalogs with other levels of processing?

@deckerkf, using the DC2 SNeIa in host cores to prepare for nuclear transients sounds like a great idea!

I looked into it, and you are correct that the 402 other data points are cut by the 1.5" separation requirement. I just updated the notebook so that it does this accounting check in Section 1.2. You’re also right that decreasing the pixelization triangle size would reduce the number of data points returned that have separations >1.5". Thanks for looking at the SNIa lightcurves notebook!

I look forward to discussing this notebook at the next stack club! (10/15/21)