How to properly setup astrometry refererence catalog?

Hello again,
After executing processCcd.py for image processing, I received an error

processCcd FATAL: Failed on dataId={'visit': 806305, 'ccd': 12, 'runId': '05BC19', 'object': 'Abell 2261 POS1', 'date': '2005-08-02', 'filter': 'r', 'state': 'p', 'extension': 13, 'taiObs': '2005-08-02T08:05:44.62', 'expTime': 600.152}: InvalidParameterError: 
  File "src/matchOptimisticB.cc", line 529, in lsst::afw::table::ReferenceMatchVector lsst::meas::astrom::matchOptimisticB(const SimpleCatalog&, const SourceCatalog&, const lsst::meas::astrom::MatchOptimisticBControl&, const lsst::afw::geom::SkyWcs&, int, bool)
    no entries in posRefCat {0}
lsst::pex::exceptions::InvalidParameterError: 'no entries in posRefCat'

I think the error comes from the imporper setup of the reference catalog.
So here is the procedure of the setup (that I tried).
The package astrometry_net_data contains the reference catalog, and the configuration file.

/astrometry_net_data$ ls
andConfig.py  sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_0.fits  sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_1.fits  sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_2.fits

The codes within the andConfig.py is the following

filters = ("u","g","r","i","z")
root.magColumnMap = dict([(f,f) for f in filters])
root.magErrorColumnMap = dict([(f, f + '_err') for f in filters])
root.indexFiles = ["sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_0.fits","sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_1.fits","sdss-dr9-fink-v5b_and_165_2.fits"]

I setup the package astrometry_net_data with these commands.

$eups declare -m none -r . astrometry_net_data -t version
$setup astrometry_net_data -t version

I wonder if this is the correct way to setup a reference catalog?
I have also checked Pan-STARRS reference catalog in LSST format
but as a beginner, I don’t quite understand if it helps.
Thank you

When you ask for support, it’s useful if you can include the full information required to reproduce the problem, including:

• What version of the pipeline are you using?
  • What data are you processing (I’m guessing CFHT-MegaCam)?
  • What command-line are you using?
  • What configurations are you changing from their defaults?
  • Are there lines in the log from the reference catalog loader? Perhaps you could post the entire contents of the log from running processCcd.py on a single CCD?

Sorry for not providing the full information.

• Pipeline v15.0 is being used.

• Yes you’re right , I am processing data from CFHT/Megacam instrument .
    To be more specific, the Abell2261 dataset.

• I start processing the data of a single ccd (ccd12) by executing the following command
    $processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=806305 ccd=12

• Not too sure about this part. I think I am using the default setting for processCcd.py.

• There is no lines in the log from the reference catalog loader. I suspect the problem comes from that because the source of the error “posRefCat” seems to be related to the reference catalog.
    Here is the content after running process.Ccd.py

Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 408, in __call__
         result = task.run(dataRef, **kwargs)
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/timer.py", line 150, in wrapper
         res = func(self, *args, **keyArgs)
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/processCcd.py", line 199, in run
         icSourceCat=charRes.sourceCat,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/timer.py", line 150, in wrapper
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/calibrate.py", line 433, in run
         icSourceCat=icSourceCat,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/calibrate.py", line 523, in calibrate
         sourceCat=sourceCat,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/astrometry.py", line 188, in run
         res = self.solve(exposure=exposure, sourceCat=sourceCat)
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/astrometry.py", line 247, in solve
         match_tolerance=match_tolerance,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/astrometry.py", line 322, in _matchAndFitWcs
         match_tolerance=match_tolerance,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/matchOptimisticB/matchOptimisticBContinued.py", line 261, in matchObjectsToSources
         verbose=debug.verbose,
       File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/matchOptimisticB/matchOptimisticBContinued.py", line 355, in _doMatch
         verbose,
     lsst.pex.exceptions.wrappers.InvalidParameterError: 
       File "src/matchOptimisticB.cc", line 529, in lsst::afw::table::ReferenceMatchVector lsst::meas::astrom::matchOptimisticB(const SimpleCatalog&, const SourceCatalog&, const lsst::meas::astrom::MatchOptimisticBControl&, const lsst::afw::geom::SkyWcs&, int, bool)
         no entries in posRefCat {0}
     lsst::pex::exceptions::InvalidParameterError: 'no entries in posRefCat'

Here is the entire screen log if it will be helpful. logscreen.log (8.9 KB)

Thank you for your help and patience.

The log lines from the reference loader are:

processCcd.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader INFO: Loading reference objects using center IcrsCoord(260.8770591, 32.1529617) and radius 0.15128406886197845 deg
processCcd.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader INFO: Loaded 0 reference objects

So it seems to be quite happy interrogating the reference catalog, but it’s not getting any objects out.

I’ve checked, and it looks like the default astromRefObjLoader is the LoadAstrometryNetObjectsTask, so it should be pulling reference sources from the SDSS catalog you’ve setup. Is it possible that Abell 2261 isn’t in the SDSS area?

I was also reprocessing some A2261 CFHT data with v13.0 and v14.0 DMstack. Its coordinates I got are (260.61292, 32.13389). And the output from get-healpix is

$ get-healpix -N8 260.61292 32.13389
(RA, DEC) = (260.613, 32.1339) degrees
Healpix=176 in the XY scheme (bighp=2, x=6, y=0)
  healpix=167 in the RING scheme (ringnum=9, longind=23)
  healpix=148 in the NESTED scheme.
Healpix center is (258.75, 35.685335) degrees
Healpix is bounded by RA=[253.125, 264.375], Dec=[30, 41.8103] degrees.
Healpix scale is 26384.5 arcsec.

So, if you are using SDSS-dr9, I guess the healpix id should be 176 instead of 165 as shown in your andConfig.py.

I did get rid of most ‘no entries in posRefCat’ errors in CFHT data when I switched to Pan-starrs catalogs. So, I think that may also be a solution…

Thank you for the reply @price @rbliu !
The error is gone, and I learnt how to include the correct healpix id in my reference catalog now.

Please allow me to ask one more question.
I am now trying to apply configuration on processCcd.py. By doing so, I execute
$ processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12 --configfile processCcdConfig.py

It seems that it failed to locate my reference catalog file, astrometry_net_data.
I believe some kind of link are missing between the reference catalog and processCcdConfig.py,
but I don’t know how to connect them.

File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/bin/processCcd.py", line 25, in <module>
    ProcessCcdTask.parseAndRun()
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 586, in parseAndRun
    resultList = taskRunner.run(parsedCmd)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 233, in run
    if self.precall(parsedCmd):
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 347, in precall
    task = self.makeTask(parsedCmd=parsedCmd)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 472, in makeTask
    return self.TaskClass(config=self.config, log=self.log, butler=butler)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/processCcd.py", line 161, in __init__
    astromRefObjLoader=astromRefObjLoader, photoRefObjLoader=photoRefObjLoader)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/task.py", line 299, in makeSubtask
    subtask = taskField.apply(name=name, parentTask=self, **keyArgs)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pex_config/15.0/python/lsst/pex/config/configurableField.py", line 83, in apply
    return self.target(*args, config=self.value, **kw)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/calibrate.py", line 365, in __init__
    self.makeSubtask('astromRefObjLoader', butler=butler)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/task.py", line 299, in makeSubtask
    subtask = taskField.apply(name=name, parentTask=self, **keyArgs)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pex_config/15.0/python/lsst/pex/config/configurableField.py", line 83, in apply
    return self.target(*args, config=self.value, **kw)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_algorithms/15.0/python/lsst/meas/algorithms/loadIndexedReferenceObjects.py", line 49, in __init__
    dataset_config = butler.get("ref_cat_config", name=self.config.ref_dataset_name, immediate=True)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/daf_persistence/15.0/python/lsst/daf/persistence/butler.py", line 1410, in get
    raise NoResults("No locations for get:", datasetType, dataId)
lsst.daf.persistence.butlerExceptions.NoResults: No locations for get: datasetType:ref_cat_config dataId:DataId(initialdata={'name': 'astrometry_net_data'}, tag=set())

Here is the location of astrometry_net_data

$ ls
astrometry_net_data  input  output  processCcdConfig.py  raw

My configuration file contains the following code:

from lsst.meas.algorithms import LoadIndexedReferenceObjectsTask

config.calibrate.photoRefObjLoader.retarget(LoadIndexedReferenceObjectsTask)
config.calibrate.photoRefObjLoader.ref_dataset_name = "astrometry_net_data"

config.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader.retarget(LoadIndexedReferenceObjectsTask)
config.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader.ref_dataset_name = "astrometry_net_data"

config.charImage.refObjLoader.retarget(LoadIndexedReferenceObjectsTask)
config.charImage.refObjLoader.ref_dataset_name = "astrometry_net_data"

# Create a filterMap to map between the filters in the refCat and your simulated filters
for refObjLoader in (config.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader,
                     config.calibrate.photoRefObjLoader,
                     config.charImage.refObjLoader):
    refObjLoader.filterMap = {'i3': 'I'}

Thank you for helping all along.

You have configured the use of the LSST-format catalogs (by retargeting to LoadIndexedReferenceObjectsTask), but you’re using an astrometry.net-format catalog.

Thank you for clarifying.
If I am using astrometry.net-format catalog, what is the correct way of configuring processCcd.py?

I want to apply the configuration because there is a mismatch of filters between my data (cfht, MegaCam) and the reference catalog. The mismatch causes an error when running processCcd.py

$processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12

Here is the error.

processCcd FATAL: Failed on dataId={'visit': 2086871, 'ccd': 12, 'runId': '17AT11', 'object': 'Draco Field2', 
'date': '2017-03-23', 'filter': 'i3', 'state': 'p', 'extension': 13, 'taiObs': '2017-03-23T15:05:56.83', 'expTime': 31.155}: RuntimeError: Could not find flux field(s) i3_camFlux, i3_flux

The data is using an “i3” filter.
I tried to edit colorterms.py or processCcd.py in the obs_cfht package, but all attempts failed.

Thanks for the help.

I believe the astrometry.net format is the default, so don’t change any of the loaders. You should be able to keep the filterMap configuration change without changing the loaders. If that doesn’t work, look at the output of processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12 --show config and see where the filterMap change should fit in.

Here is the output after processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12 --show config that contains the filtermap configuration, but I don’t understand how to change the configuration (to match with the i3 filter). Do you mind providing some details? Thank you

# Mapping of camera filter name: reference catalog filter name; each reference filter must exist
config.calibrate.photoRefObjLoader.filterMap={'i2': 'i'}
# Mapping of camera filter name: reference catalog filter name; each reference filter must exist
config.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader.filterMap={'i2': 'i'}
config.charImage.refObjLoader.filterMap={'i2': 'i'}

What was wrong with:

?

Sorry for making the confusion.
That was from the configuration file that I stopped using, so the processCcd.py now contains
{‘i2’: ‘I’} instead of {‘i3’: ‘I’}.

import os.path

from lsst.utils import getPackageDir

cfhtConfigDir = os.path.join(getPackageDir("obs_cfht"), "config")
config.calibrate.photoCal.colorterms.load(os.path.join(cfhtConfigDir, 'colorterms.py'))

from lsst.obs.cfht.cfhtIsrTask import CfhtIsrTask
config.isr.retarget(CfhtIsrTask)

config.isr.doBias = False
config.isr.doDark = False
config.isr.doFlat = False
config.isr.doFringe = False
config.isr.fringeAfterFlat = False
config.isr.doWrite = False
config.isr.fringe.filters = ['i', 'i2', 'z']
config.isr.fringe.pedestal = True
config.isr.fringe.small = 1
config.isr.fringe.large = 50
config.isr.doAssembleIsrExposures = True

config.charImage.repair.doCosmicRay = True
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.cond3_fac = 2.5
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.cond3_fac2 = 0.4
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.niteration = 3
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.nCrPixelMax = 100000
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.minSigma = 6.0
config.charImage.repair.cosmicray.min_DN = 150.0

# Configuration for AstrometryTask, the default. If the user retargets to
# ANetAstrometryTask, they must update the astrometry.solver.filterMap config
# manually; doing it here is impossible because these overrides are applied
# before any user overrides where retargeting could occur.
    refObjLoader.filterMap = {'i2': 'i'}
config.calibrate.astrometry.wcsFitter.order = 3
config.calibrate.astrometry.matcher.maxMatchDistArcSec = 5

config.calibrate.photoCal.applyColorTerms = True
config.calibrate.photoCal.photoCatName = "e2v"
# this was the default prior to DM-11521.  New default is 2000.
config.calibrate.deblend.maxFootprintSize=0

The problem still remains, because of the i3 filter from the data.
Thank you for your patience. I really appreciate your continuous help.

processCcd.calibrate.astromRefObjLoader INFO: Loading reference objects using center IcrsCoord(296.0615092, 67.1779176) and radius 0.15131808280803208 deg
processCcd FATAL: Failed on dataId={'visit': 2086871, 'ccd': 12, 'runId': '17AT11', 'object': 'Draco Field2', 'date': '2017-03-23', 'filter': 'i3', 'state': 'p', 'extension': 13, 'taiObs': '2017-03-23T15:05:56.83', 'expTime': 31.155}: RuntimeError: Could not find flux field(s) i3_camFlux, i3_flux
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_base/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/base/cmdLineTask.py", line 408, in __call__
    result = task.run(dataRef, **kwargs)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/processCcd.py", line 199, in run
    icSourceCat=charRes.sourceCat,
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/calibrate.py", line 433, in run
    icSourceCat=icSourceCat,
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/python/lsst/pipe/tasks/calibrate.py", line 523, in calibrate
    sourceCat=sourceCat,
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/astrometry.py", line 188, in run
    res = self.solve(exposure=exposure, sourceCat=sourceCat)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_astrom/15.0/python/lsst/meas/astrom/astrometry.py", line 214, in solve
    calib=expMd.calib,
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_algorithms/15.0/python/lsst/meas/algorithms/loadReferenceObjects.py", line 212, in loadPixelBox
    loadRes = self.loadSkyCircle(circle.coord, circle.radius, filterName)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_extensions_astrometryNet/15.0/python/lsst/meas/extensions/astrometryNet/loadAstrometryNetObjects.py", line 142, in loadSkyCircle
    fluxField = getRefFluxField(schema=refCat.schema, filterName=filterName)
  File "/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/meas_algorithms/15.0/python/lsst/meas/algorithms/loadReferenceObjects.py", line 66, in getRefFluxField
    raise RuntimeError("Could not find flux field(s) %s" % (", ".join(fluxFieldList)))
RuntimeError: Could not find flux field(s) i3_camFlux, i3_flux

The data you’re processing requires i3, so add it:

refObjLoader.filterMap = {'i2': 'i', 'i3': 'i'}

I have also tried that before, but another error comes out.

$processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12

root INFO: Loading config overrride file '/home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/obs_cfht/15.0/config/processCcd.py'
CameraMapper INFO: Loading exposure registry from /home/chiba/Research/cfhtTest/input/registry.sqlite3
root INFO: Running: /home/chiba/Research/lsst_stack/stack/miniconda3-4.3.21-10a4fa6/Linux64/pipe_tasks/15.0/bin/processCcd.py input --output output --id visit=2086871 ccd=12
processCcd FATAL: Comparing configuration: Inequality in keys for charImage.refObjLoader.filterMap: {'i3', 'i2'} != {'i2'}
processCcd FATAL: Comparing configuration: Inequality in keys for calibrate.astromRefObjLoader.filterMap: {'i3', 'i2'} != {'i2'}
processCcd FATAL: Comparing configuration: Inequality in keys for calibrate.photoRefObjLoader.filterMap: {'i3', 'i2'} != {'i2'}
processCcd FATAL: Failed in task initialization: Config does not match existing task config 'processCcd_config' on disk; tasks configurations must be consistent within the same output repo (override with --clobber-config)

Thank you.

Is the error message not clear about how to remedy this?

Sorry for not noticing that. I overide it with --clobber-config, and it works now.