Image Difference Task using DECam images [gen3]

Hi Meredith, thanks!
I think I need permission or an account to see the summary you linked. How can I have access to this?

Ah, I forgot all our confluence pages require a login, my bad! Here is a PDF-ification of the summary in question.
sullivan-ImageDifferencingAudit-180522-2115-340.pdf (79.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Meredith! that report helps a lot as a guide :slight_smile:
Iā€™m trying some of the configurations and checking which one looks best for my images.

I have a question regarding one of the plots from the jupyter notebook. These types of plots specifically:

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 17.46.41

Is each bin of the histogram the flux measured of a source with a PSF aperture? or could it be the sum of different flux profiles from the DIA sources?.
Thanks a lot !

Paula.

Several kinds of fluxes are measuredā€¦

• psFlux from DIA Source table (plotted here): forced PSF photometry on diffim at DIA Source position
  • totFlux from DIA Source table: forced PSF photometry on calexp at DIA Source position
  • apflux from DIA Source table: aperture photometry on diffim at DIA Sources position
  • psFlux from DIA Forced Source Table: forced PSF photometry on diffim at DIA Object position
  • totFlux from DIA Forced Source Table: forced PSF photometry on calexp at DIA Object position

There are also, of course, fluxes in the src catalog (produced alongside calexps), which result from PSF photometry on the calexp at the calexp-determined source position.

2 Likes

Thanks for the description Meredith :slight_smile:
Right now Iā€™m trying image differencing with the configuration of pre-convolution on the science image, and for some of the ccds the run seems to failā€¦
It appears in the output that there is some kind of bug that produces this:

py.warnings WARNING: /home/jahumada/lsstw_v22_10/lsst-w.2022.10/stack/miniconda3-py38_4.9.2-2.0.0/Linux64/obs_base/geff6ec3125+d22c7905a5/python/lsst/obs/base/formatters/fitsExposure.py:651: UserWarning: Reading file:///home/jahumada/data_hits/hits_master_calib/20150221_flats/20211221T232825Z/flat/g/g_DECam_SDSS_c0001_4720.0_1520.0/flat_DECam_g_g_DECam_SDSS_c0001_4720_0_1520_0_N21_hits_master_calib_20150221_flats_20211221T232825Z.fits with data ID {instrument: 'DECam', detector: 52, physical_filter: 'g DECam SDSS c0001 4720.0 1520.0', ...}: filter label mismatch (file is None, data ID is FilterLabel(band="g", physical="g DECam SDSS c0001 4720.0 1520.0")).  This is probably a bug in the code that produced it.
  warnings.warn(

The warning indicates that thereā€™s a filter label mismatchā€¦ Iā€™m not sure how this can be solved.

Thanks!

It looks like you encountered this in a previous community post :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I know @lskelvin previously had this issue when processing some DECam data last year, maybe he remembers the specific resolution?

This ticket is related, but as far as I can tell, itā€™s aimed at fixing an annoying warning, and doesnā€™t seem to be stopping image processing from happening.

Are you sure thereā€™s not some other error in your traceback unrelated to this warning message?

1 Like

Hi Paula,

I can confirm that the recently merged ticket that @mrawls linked to above does address the filter label mismatch warning issue that you discovered. The calibration combination task was not previously copying filter information from raw files into newly constructed calibration files. This issue has now been resolved by @czw and should no longer impact future data reductions. With that said however, any calibration files which have previously been constructed (e.g., flats, sky frames) will need to be regenerated in order to stop this warning from appearing.

The good news is that this warning should not impact your reductions at all (beyond causing annoyance). The warning you noticed is an indication that the filter information is being fixed at runtime.

I havenā€™t had a chance to catch up on all of the discussion in this thread, but I hope this helps somewhat? Keen to hear how you get on!

1 Like

Thanks for all your comments :slight_smile: I will eventually update the software, and hope to avoid this warning!.
Right now I have a greater issue, and it regards running the AP Pipe on different configurations. Iā€™ve attempted running image differencing with the following configurations:

• doDecorrelation : True
  • doPreConvolve : True

What worries me is that the resulting images look the same for all configurations! Iā€™m not sure whyā€¦ here are some stamps of a source of interest:
The first row are the calibrated images of the same source at different epochs, and the second row are the differenced-images.

J095753.59+015831.3_doDec2_stamps.pdf (220.4 KB)
J095753.59+015831.3_PreConv_stamps.pdf (220.5 KB)
J095753.59+015831.3_stamps.pdf (216.4 KB)

These configurations I add them directly in the ApPipe.yaml file, under the ImageDifference config section. Maybe Iā€™m missing something here?

Thanks!

I took a quick look at this. Default A&L differencing sets doDecorrelation to True, so that explains why your first case matches your third case. In addition, it appears that as of about a year ago, doPreConvolve was deprecated and now one must set useScoreImageDetection instead - this explains your second case.

If itā€™s any consolation, we are very close to completing a long-overdue full refactor of imageDifferenceTask! You can see the details on DM-33001. That ticket is ā€œDone,ā€ but we have not yet adopted the new task(s) in our default AP or DRP pipelines - testing and validation is still in progress.

1 Like

I see!

Great. I will try this out :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!

Hi! I encountered an error that Iā€™m not sure how to work around.

setting useScoreImageDetection as True will rise the following error:

ValueError: doWriteSubtractedExp=True and useScoreImageDetection=True Regular difference image is not calculated. AL subtraction calculates either the regular difference image or the score image.

but setting useScoreImageDetection as True and doWriteSubtractedExp as False results in an empty QuantumGraph:

lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'Coadd_AGN/Blind15A_16_2exp'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'processCcdOutputs/Blind15A_16'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'refcatsv2'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/raw/all'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'skymaps'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20180504calibs'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20150219calibs'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20150220calibs'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20150218calibs'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20150217calibs'.
lsst.pipe.base.graphBuilder WARNING: No datasets of type goodSeeingDiff_differenceExp in collection 'DECam/calib/20150221calibs'.
py.warnings WARNING: /home/jahumada/lsstw_v22_10/lsst-w.2022.10/stack/miniconda3-py38_4.9.2-2.0.0/Linux64/ctrl_mpexec/g34d403d65c+f0cf790be1/python/lsst/ctrl/mpexec/cli/script/qgraph.py:183: UserWarning: QuantumGraph is empty
  qgraph = f.makeGraph(pipelineObj, args)

lsst.daf.butler.cli.utils ERROR: Caught an exception, details are in traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/jahumada/lsstw_v22_10/lsst-w.2022.10/stack/miniconda3-py38_4.9.2-2.0.0/Linux64/ctrl_mpexec/g34d403d65c+f0cf790be1/python/lsst/ctrl/mpexec/cli/cmd/commands.py", line 126, in run
    qgraph = script.qgraph(pipelineObj=pipeline, **kwargs)
  File "/home/jahumada/lsstw_v22_10/lsst-w.2022.10/stack/miniconda3-py38_4.9.2-2.0.0/Linux64/ctrl_mpexec/g34d403d65c+f0cf790be1/python/lsst/ctrl/mpexec/cli/script/qgraph.py", line 186, in qgraph
    raise RuntimeError("QuantumGraph is empty.")
RuntimeError: QuantumGraph is empty.

Not sure how I should proceed :sweat:, I bet thereā€™s a parameter that I should consider, but I donā€™t know which.

Thanks!

I find it a bit weird that both of these parameters cannot be True at the same time. I understand that doWriteSubtractedExp writes/registers the difference imagesā€¦

I havenā€™t played much with these specific configs and donā€™t have any insights, sorry. I think the newly refactored ImageDifference I mentioned before is probably going to be easier to switch to than sorting out the idiosyncrasies of every possible config combination in ā€œoldā€ ImageDifference. Is there something in particular that isnā€™t working how youā€™re hoping for with the default configs?

Iā€™m currently comparing the light curves I get from Image Differencing versus the light curves obtained by aperture photometry for the same sources. I expect both of these to have a similar structure, that is, the same tendencies.
Unfortunately, there are many cases where both of these LCs have a significantly different nature, and it so happens to be for the sources where the subtraction is worse. With the latter, I mean that there are big flux dipoles.
I was hoping that doing pre-convolution to the science images may help with these dipoles.

I assume that I can access this refactored ImageDifference with the newest release of the pipeline? :open_mouth:

In principle yes, though we are still testing it :smile: you can follow along in semi-real-time here. Very heavy disclaimers, there are almost certainly some bugs we havenā€™t squashed yet - in particular, the science image pre-convolution option is giving us some weird patch edge artifacts at this moment. I defer to @kherner for specific pointers he may wish to give. It may be best to give us a bit to iron out the rough parts of science image pre-convolution before diving in.

1 Like

Hello Paula,

As @mrawls mentioned weā€™re still doing some evaluation and commissioning studies, but if you donā€™t want to wait for those, the new code will certainly run. Iā€™m not sure which pipeline youā€™re exactly using, but the idea is to replace the imageDifference with two new tasks: subtractImages and detectAndMeasure. If you want to do a test with the defaults, a minimally-sufficient modification to your pipeline would be something like this:

subtractImages:
    class: lsst.ip.diffim.subtractImages.AlardLuptonSubtractTask
    config:
      connections.coaddName: parameters.coaddName
  detectAndMeasure:
    class: lsst.ip.diffim.detectAndMeasure.DetectAndMeasureTask
    config:
      connections.coaddName: parameters.coaddName

The parts of your pipeline before and after imagedifference would remain the same (note you may need to modify some contract names in that case). If you already have an imageDifference task in your pipeline, you will need to exclude that. In this example I am using parameters.coaddName as defined in the ApPipe.yaml in the ap_pipe package; your pipeline might be slightly different. If you want to run the new tasks in compatibility mode, which should give you results very close to the existing imageDifference task, you can add

forceCompatibility: True

to the config section of the subtractImages task. Let us know if you run into any difficulties.

1 Like

Sorry, you might also need doSkySources: true in the config section for detectAndMeasure.

Thanks Ken, I will now be trying the configs you suggest!

I have a question now specific to the code of Image Subtraction. From reading the available documentation on the implementation code of Alard and Lupton in the pipelines, Iā€™m not clear about the treatment of scaling the flux of the template (coadd) image to match the science image.

Checking the template (R), science (I) and difference image, I see that the three of them have different calibration zero points. I understand that the template is convolved with a kernel k that minimizes the equation R ā“ k - I. Does the kernel account for the mismatch in flux between the template and the science image? And if it does, is the convoluted template saved by the pipeline at any point?

I assume that the photometric zero-point mismatch between the science and difference Image is due to the latter showing fainter signals.

I wonder where I should add the configuration of pre-convolution of the science images with their own psf. I checked that in subtractImages.py thereā€™s a function called finalize:

def finalize(self, template, science, difference, kernel,
                 templateMatched=True,
                 preConvMode=False,
                 preConvKernel=None,
                 spatiallyVarying=False)

I was thinking of solely changing the parameter preConvMode to Trueā€¦ but maybe thatā€™s not the way to do it :full_moon_with_face:

If you look at the docstring for the finalize function youā€™ll see that the preConvMode option is just telling the function whether the science image was pre-convolved or not; it doesnā€™t actually do the pre-convolution itself. The new diffim workflow doesnā€™t actually do it yet, though it is still in the plans.

1 Like