LINCC Tech Talk on August 8 @ 5pm UTC: Photometric redshifts using template fitting in the era of the Vera C. Rubin Observatory

Dear all,

I hope you will join us for the August LINCC Tech Talk session that will take place on Thursday, August 8, at 10h PT = 13h ET = 13h CLT = 19h CET on Zoom (https://ls.st/lincc-talks ). We will hear from Raphael Shirley, who will talk about recent LINCC Frameworks Incubator work on the LePHARE photo-z estimation code.

Photometric redshifts using template fitting in the era of the Vera C. Rubin Observatory

Photometric redshifts are of central importance in extragalactic astronomy. In this talk I will present recent developments of the LePHARE template fitting code. I will compare and contrast performance and features of template fitting with machine learning methods. I will also discuss my focus on active galactic nuclei and the particular challenge that they pose to redshift estimation. I will also discuss performance expectations for the upcoming Vera C. Rubin Observatory and the importance of harnessing additional data sets to maximise the scientific impact. In particular the talk with empahsise the importance of the Redshift Asessment and Infrastructure Layers (RAIL) and the work done as part of the LINCC LePHARE incubator. Finally I will present ongoing work and future ideas for development.

LINCC Tech Talks are held on the second Thursday of every month. Events are also advertised at our web page and also provided in calendar form ; and the #lincc-tech-talks LSSTC Slack channel is always available for discussions before, during, and after the talks.