LINCC Tech Talk on Feb 8: The Supernova Exchange 2.0: Software for the follow-up of extragalactic transients in the Rubin era

Dear all,

I hope you will join us for the February LINCC Tech Talk session that will take place next week, Thursday, February 8, at 10h PT = 13h ET = 14 CST = 19h CET on Zoom (https://ls.st/lincc-talks ). We will hear from Craig Pellegrino, who will talk about the Supernova Exchange 2.0 software for transient follow-ups in the Rubin era.

The Supernova Exchange 2.0: Software for the follow-up of extragalactic transients in the Rubin era

Rubin’s LSST will revolutionize time-domain astronomy by expanding our search for astronomical transients to fainter magnitudes and higher redshifts. With roughly a million alerts expected to be issued to the time-domain community each night, it will be increasingly paramount to develop software infrastructure to identify and prioritize the most scientifically interesting targets. Identifying and rapidly following many types of transients, including supernovae and gravitational wave event counterparts, in turn is vital to maximizing their scientific impact. Software to meet these needs entails automated filtering, ingestion, and follow-up observation submission of these targets in a customizable manner to suit the scientific interests of different time-domain subfields. Here I will present the Supernova Exchange 2.0 (SNEx2), a Target and Observation Manager (TOM) with wide-ranging applications within time-domain and multi-messenger astronomy. TOM software automatically ingests time-domain targets from alert-stream brokers and other sources, displays photometric and spectroscopic data, and allows for follow-up observation submission on a growing set of queue-scheduled and robotic telescopes. SNEx2 is written to enable this functionality while remaining broadly applicable; it is open-source and easily customizable to address specific scientific objectives within time-domain astronomy. I will detail the unique features of SNEx2, including its interface with telescope resources such as the Las Cumbres Observatory telescope network, its user-driven alert-stream broker filters, and its capabilities in the search for electromagnetic counterparts to gravitational wave detections. Finally, I will discuss ongoing efforts to prepare SNEx2 for the Rubin era using the Rubin Science Platform and Data Preview 0 data products.

LINCC Tech Talks are held on the second Thursday of every month. Events are also advertised at our web page and also provided in calendar form; and the #lincc-tech-talks LSSTC Slack channel is always available for discussions before, during, and after the talks.