Sciserver_opsim_tutorial

Hello reader, I am trying to get access to our simulated data (OpSim) following this tutorial: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JyO7Djx2RPtY0e5XJBwOD5BpEc5r4oU0/view?usp=sharing
Here follows a visual illustration of the tutorial you’ll find on the link above:

So I have already created my account, but I don’t know for who to send my username(Step described on the tutorial).
The username is “VitorGuez” if you have the power to add me in the group.
Thanks for your attention!

Hi @Vitor_Guez , can you clarify a bit what simulated data you are trying to access?

Not actually, I thought I would find some files with magnitudes for plotting light curves and run some variability tests with the simulated data we already have. But now I’m not sure if that is the case. Anyway all the information I have is on the tutorial on the link that follows.

Hi Vitor, the LSST Survey Scheduler team (attention @ljones) did, in the past, host the OpSim databases at SciServer, which is an independent platform. I’m not sure whether that is the best venue, but if it is, then Lynne would be able to add you to the right group.

However, if it is simulated lightcurves you’re looking for, you might be more interested in the Data Preview 0.2 simulation. This simulated data set contains lightcurves for Type Ia supernovae and some variable stars. Learn more here: https://dp0-2.lsst.io/.

If this information was useful or not, let us know with a reply?

A set of opsim simulated pointing histories (just the pointing history for the telescope) was hosted on SciServer, which itself was run by an independent science collaboration- based group. They may have also set up some AGN lightcurve data there, as the SciServer effort was primarily run by the AGN science collaboration (@ywx649999311 @gtrichards).
I’m not entirely certain the route you came across the SciServer tutorial, which might help me understand a bit better about what you’re looking for.
You can also find LSST pointing histories at NOIRlab DataLab (https://datalab.noirlab.edu) or download individual opsim runs out of the various releases here- Index of /sim-data/

To find light curves of individual stars, you might find the DP0.2 data that @MelissaGraham referenced more relevant.

Thanks @ljones, quick follow-up question – where at NOIRLab DataLab are the LSST pointing histories for OpSim runs? Related to Rubin, I can only find LSST SIM, but that’s a mock stellar sample.

It’s not available as part of their “Survey Data” data sets, but once you are in a notebook or at the terminal prompt, the 1.5 - 2.1 release simulations are available at /sims_maf/fbs_<release #>
… i.e. /sims_maf/fbs_2.1 shows you the latest simulations that are available on NOIRlab.

We haven’t yet asked them to add 2.2 or 3.0 simulations — this is something I’ll follow up on (as well as asking them to update to v1 of rubin_sim).

1 Like

As followup – It turns out, I had already asked for those 2.2 and 3.0 runs to be added, and also they already added them … it’s just that the directories for 1.7 to 2.1 were /sims_maf/fbs_1.7, etc. and the directories for 2.2/3.0 are slightly different –
/sims_maf/sims_featureScheduler_runs2.2
/sims_maf/sims_featureScheduler_runs3.0