There is a survey strategy session at the Rubin Observatory Project and Community Workshop (PCW) 2020 - Wednesday morning, Aug 12. See the Session agenda for connection
The plan for the session is to make materials available ahead of time for previewing – these resources include
- a quick description of the process from here to a survey strategy for the LSST - an talk from Zeljko Ivezic [12:27]
- a quick introductory overview of some of the survey strategy basics (what are the different survey regions, etc.) [8:28]
- an overview of the scheduler, how it works and how it’s balancing different drivers (this also includes some background on the survey strategy) [30:40]
- a brief description of changes in the scheduler (2019-2020) [10:22]
- an in-depth description of each of the families of simulation experiments and investigations created for the report to the SCOC [45:02]
- a short description of the ‘potential scheduler’ runs in FBS 1.6 [13:31]
Our report to the SCOC on the survey strategy experiments is now publicly available pstn-051.lsst.io!
A topic dedicated to the report is available here: Report for the Survey Cadence Optimization Committee (SCOC)
The session will start with a very brief recap of the videos above - more of a reminder than a substitute for the videos themselves. Then we are planning to have short presentations from each of the science collaborations, a comment on their status as we go to the next phase of survey strategy development – community feedback to the SCOC.
- Are there any issues, missing simulations or missing metrics for evaluating the survey strategy?
- How is your collaboration placed in terms of this next phase - what resources are available or lacking?
Slides from the session: Community Evaluation of Rubin Survey Strategies Thank you to @dscolnic, @pmmcgehee, @willclarkson, @gtrichards, @hcferguson, @fed, @rstreet, and @mschwamb for the updates from your science collaborations!
Recording of the session: https://youtu.be/wKzPcT4WmOo