Trouble logging in

hi - I admit it’s been a long time since I’ve tried to log in, but I’m getting this error when I try to log into the portal. I can’t seem to get past it. I tried a while ago and waited to see if something got approved and nothing did, because I’m still getting this error. I should already have been approved and all of that as part of DP 0.1. Help?

Hi Luisa!

This is an interesting error! I am sorry you have been having trouble logging into to the Rubin Science Platform (RSP). Do you have a rough idea about when it was the last time you were able to log in successfully? About a year and a half ago or so, the RSP switched to a method called CILogin that uses your institutional credentials to log into the RSP. If you haven’t set your account to login using CILogin, you will need to do that. If that is the case, you should be able to follow the updated instructions for setting up an RSP account here: Getting an account on the RSP — Rubin Science Platform . On the other hand, if you have previously setup your RSP account to use the CILogin method and you could log in with that method before, that is another issue. If so, let us know (and also let us know the name of the institution on the CILogin list that you are using and failing to login with). In this latter case, a relatively quick fix is add another institution to your account (e.g., GitHub and ORCID will also work, if you have accounts with them); you can also link your ids with these other instiutional accounts by following these instructions: Linking additional identities — Rubin Science Platform .

Let us know if this helps!

Thanks!

I did change to using CILogin, and I changed to using ORCID. This is what happens now when I try to use ORCID to log in. I am pretty sure I could log in before using ORCID, but it’s remotely possible that I hit this before and waited because it says in the error message to wait for approval.

Hi Louisa, one problem is you seem to have created two accounts. One was created March 2023, the other May this year. I don’t think either of those are associated with an ORCID account. Can you try logging on (from a fresh browser or private window, just to avoid confusion) using CalTech as your provider? We can then take it from there.

Huh. Weird. Ok, I tried again, once because I am insufficiently caffeinated and failed to completely absorb what you said and used ORCID again, which had the same result as yesterday. I tried again in a ‘new private window’ and used Caltech to authorize me, and now I’m at least error-free, but I appear to have been dropped into the generic Firefly help (not even a generic Firefly app!) rather than the Rubin portal. Is this what I should expect to have happened?

Being routed to the generic Firefly help (not even a generic Firefly app) is indeed a strange result, Luisa!

Have you had any luck since yesterday logging in?

We would definitely like to get this resolved for you!

Thanks!

Hm, those links didn’t translate well. the first link was (adding spaces so that it doesn’t try to load it):
https: // data . lsst . cloud/ portal /app/
and the second was
https: // data . lsst. cloud/ portal /app/ onlinehelp/

Now that it has accepted my credentials, I can use the bookmark I had before to go to
https://data.lsst.cloud/portal/app/
instead of being dropped into
https://data.lsst.cloud/portal/app/onlinehelp/
which is what I saw yesterday upon logging in. But as I am quite literally the actual person who writes that generic online help text that you all inherit when you pick up Firefly tools, I was rather surprised at the possible implication that those very words are the first thing that Rubin users see upon logging in to the Rubin portal! If you need me to change those words so that they are more Rubin-friendly, let’s work together to make that happen.

Hi @rebull , it seems that Frossie’s response addressed your log-in problem. Can you confirm that you don’t have any further log-in related issues?

Regarding the RSP portal page, the correct way to log into the portal is to go to data.lsst.cloud then click Portal. That onlinehelp page is not the first thing users see when logging into RSP; it is linked through the “Portal” box on the /docs page. However, we realized it could be confusing if clicking on this box leads to Firefly documentation when users are expecting Portal documentation. Since linking to Firefly docs from the /docs page is still valuable, we will update the box header and description to reflect Firefly documentation more clearly. Thanks for reporting this.

I just verified that logging in now using Caltech to verify my identity (rather than ORCID) I indeed get dropped properly into the portal and not into the online help using any of the links i have saved for Rubin stuff, so yes, it’s all good. thanks!

1 Like

Just to wrap up a final loose end here, I can report that SP-1621 is done and, like @galaxyumi331 mentioned, the /docs page has been updated to clarify that the link is to the Firefly user-interface documentation.