Windows subsystem for linux lsst_sims install trouble

I’m trying to install lsst_sims on windows subsystem for linux (WSL) Ubuntu 16.04. I’m using the command “eups distrib install lsst_sims -t sims_w_2019_38” and it’s failing at step 86/114 afw 18.1.0-17-gd2166b6e4+1 .

Here’s the end of a (very long) error message:

Also the buildlog seems to indicate that I don’t have latex, pdflatex, or latex2html, though I’ve installed all of them.
eupsbuild.log (35.5 KB)

Does anyone know what might be going on or a potential better way to install this on WSL?

The log file you attached has nothing to do with the afw failure: it’s the log of building eups (it couldn’t build the latex docs, but that doesn’t matter and it’s not fatal). For the afw failure, you want to look in /home/nsabrams/stack/miniconda3-4.5.12-1172c30/EupsBuildDir/Linux64/afw-19.1.0-17-g21 66b6e4+1/build.log (you can see it in the error message you showed, after the >>).

But what’s visible in the error message you posted already gives a clue to the problem: there are undefined symbols when linking, specifically, symbols relating to boost regex. I suggest you check that you have all the prerequisites installed, and if you find anything missing then start over from scratch. If you don’t find any prerequisites missing, then please post the afw build log.

Whoops sorry about that error. I already have the prereqs installed including the additional step for ubuntu 16. Here’s the afw build log:
build.log (2.0 MB)

Sorry - I said to attach the build log, but failed to specify where to find it (I was looking quickly at a screen shot).

When Natasha asked me about this, I wasn’t sure if the “windows subsystem for linux” was essentially the same as linux or not – would this be expected to work as if it was a true ubuntu system? If all the requirements are met, should this be expected to build?
ubuntu should be expected to have binaries, wouldn’t it? (the newinstall.sh flags would have pulled a binary in, if it was available)

It’s possible that there is another boost installed on the system. The real issue is:

lib/libafw.so: undefined reference to `boost::re_detail_106900::cpp_regex_traits_implementation<char>::transform[abi:cxx11](char const*, char const*) const'
lib/libafw.so: undefined reference to `boost::re_detail_106900::cpp_regex_traits_implementation<char>::transform_primary[abi:cxx11](char const*, char const*) const'
2 Likes

How do I check if there’s another one installed?