Science Pipeline release 17.0 - Status and discussion

stack-releases
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f61a5c8dd00>

(Gcomoretto) #1

Here is where we currently are in the release process. Current step in bold.

Summary


Establishing if Science Pipeline is ready for next release.

Tentative target date to close the release: February 28th, 2019 (previously was November 25ft 2018).

Release Precursor Steps


  1. Identify any pre-release blockers (“must-have features”) :tools:

To all science pipeline contributors, please check if there are outstanding issues that have to be included in the next 17.0 release. If no outstanding issues are highlighted, and no problems are found, we plan to use next weekly build (w_2018_42 from October the 22nd) as a starting point for the 17.0 major release.

  1. Wait for contributors to clear

Release Engineering Steps


  1. Branch 17.0.x of newinstall.sh
  2. Build and publish rc1 release candidate (based on w.2019.06)
  3. Wait for first round of bugs to clear
  4. Build and publish additional rcX releases if/as necessary
    • regression found, rc1 is discarded,
    • v17.0.rc2 build and published based on w.2019.07
    • Wait for checks on v17.0.rc2
  5. Full OS testing (see https://ls.st/faq )
  6. Build and publish final release
  7. Release Completed

Documentation Steps
Integration on 17.0.x branch of pipelines_lsst_io


  1. Update Prereqs/Install
  2. Update Known Issues
  3. Gather Release notes
  4. Gather Metrics report
  5. Email announcement

(John Swinbank) #2

To all science pipeline contributors, please check if there are outstanding issues that have to be included in next 17.0 release. If no outstanding issues are highlighted, and no problems are found, we plan to use next weekly build (w_2018_42 from October the 22nd) as starting point for the 17.0 major release.

Since this release is addressing the milestone LDM-503-09a, the “must-have features” are listed in LDM-564 §3.12. Not all of those features will be in w_2018_42. We (you, @yusra, @fritzm, I) should probably take it to e-mail to establish exactly when those features will be landing and/or which we can cut from the release (DM-DAX-8, I’m looking at you…!).


(John Swinbank) #3

Tracking ticket for this release, capturing relevant blockers, is DM-16397.


(Gcomoretto) #4

So far there are still following issues open that blocks the start of the release process:

DM-11783, that imply the resolution of:

DM-16128
DM-16374


(John Parejko) #5

Are you sure you meant DM-15221? That’s not a release blocker that I can see. I’m guessing you meant DM-15751?


(Gcomoretto) #6

Right, DM-15221 seems not to be blocker for the epic FM-11783, so it is probably not blocking the release either.

I am not sure if DM-15751 shall be considered blocker for the release. @swinbank?


(John Swinbank) #7

I agree that DM-15221 is not blocking the release. DM-15751 is, but only indirectly (it blocks the completion of DM-11783, which in turn blocks the release).

It’s likely that we’ll change the blockers over the next few days (in particular, I don’t think it’s necessary for DM-15846, which is also part of DM-11783, to block the release). Given that, I suggest it’s easiest just to refer to the list on DM-16397 for a guaranteed-correct (…modulo typos) set of blockers.


(Gcomoretto) #8

Thank you John for the clarification. I would suggest to avoid epics as blocker to the release issue, and just list the relevant blocking story issues.


(Gcomoretto) #9

So far all blocking issue have been resolved. If no problems are found in the next weekly build, next week the release process will start.
17.0 will probably be available by the end of February.


(Gcomoretto) #10

Weekly build w.2019.06 has been identified, and the first release candidate v17.0.rc1 build has been created based on that.

However, it seems that few more checks on the weekly build are required before starting. @KSK, it would be very useful to get this in the release procedure.

If the newly identified blocking issues (DM-17552 and DM-17843) are merged into master this week, we can restart the release process creating v17.0.rc2 from w.2019.07.


(Gcomoretto) #11

Version 17.0 is out. The announcement is available at: